My First-Ever Muslim Friends


Janessa Tek-ing | I grew up in a city where mostly Catholics lived. I'm a Catholic all my life. I've never had any Muslim friend or classmate. And the truth was, I never even bothered to listen to news about them or to even visit their communities just to get a taste of what it's like.

I thought it was enough to live my own life, to deal with my own problems, and to focus on my own dreams. I knew I was a part of a bigger world but I never cared to truly take part on it.

I once told myself, "I can't solve everybody's problems. I'm only one and there's nothing I can do about it." So, yeah, I was a spoiled brat with selfish motivations in life.

Then, one day, I realized I wasn't happy. The world I was trying to create was unreal. It was superficial, meaningless, and shallow. One time, my dad yelled at me (for some reasons I cannot disclose here), "You're better than this! Is this all you can do?" Then, a sudden realization revealed itself to me.

I suddenly altered the path I was taking in life. I can never undo the mistakes I've made, but I can always create something new. I can start all over again. And that's what I did. One day and one step at a time...

I took part in several community projects and joined some organizations. I immersed myself into the world that I ignored all my life. I never thought it was the kind of world I wanna be a part of. I used to believe I had it all. This one big bold step alone made me discover everything that I've been missing.

There came a point when some of my friends would ask, "Why do you do such things?" But I never answered because I figured out, they'll never understand. I have been blessed with a bunch of good-looking friends. Friends with money. Friends with cars. Friends who know their way around the city. However, no matter how much I love them and enjoy their company, there was something I should do.
I had to do things my way because that's the only thing that will make me truly happy. So, despite some discouragements, I didn’t look back. I continued searching for myself even if most of the people around me tried to pull me back to who I was...

My zest for new and meaningful adventures has taken me to what would be the most memorable moment of my life. It all happened in Cugman, Cagayan de Oro City where several PeaceTech ambassadors (both Catholics and Muslims) have gathered to start their journey as peace advocates of the country.

I was wrong to think it was just one of those workshops where you'll go home after and forget everything you've experienced. It never occurred to me that this is something I'll never forget my whole life.

Of course, there were discussions and resource speakers whose knowledge about peace is unquestionable. But what I value the most are the relationships I have created with these wonderful Muslims. They opened a whole new spectrum of learnings and made me see things differently. Before, Luzon was the best island for me. Now, I see it as equally great and magnificent as the two other islands of the country - Visayas and Mindanao. 

Honestly, it's hard to be yourself around people who grew up in the same environment as yours. You always want to compete with them, prove to them that you're better than anyone else. I never imagined that those who understand you better are those who never lived your life. Why? Because they don't judge. They just listen. And that's what these people have given me. They've given me a time to speak and never judged me for whatever I said.

Those five days have been meaningful, so meaningful, that for the first time in what seemed a long time, I became myself again. My first Muslim friends (I cannot name names because they're so many and I'm thankful for that) have made me laugh. And it was real. Not the kind of laughter brought by green jokes or anything like it. And they made me cry the kind of tears you shed only for friends you'll miss and cherish. They changed my life in a way that I'll never be the same girl anymore.

When I got back to Manila, my parents were not at home. I called them up and the instant I heard my dad's voice, I began to cry. Like really cry. I was only able to say, "Daddy, ang babait nila." ("Daddy, they're so kind.")

That’s when it all dawned on me. I fell in love with these people because they're so kind and so real that you don't even need to pretend when you're around them. You only have to be yourself.

It's priceless. The chance to be myself, even just for five days, was a luxury to me. Funny, it may be. But it's the truth, a very sweet truth. Who would've thought that I would get the one thing I wished for just because of my very first Muslim friends?

Comments

  1. this is a very wonderful experience that you had with Muslims like us. My tears fell down as i was reading this blog because I know there are so many people in this world who is like you before. They are so judgemental when it comes to Muslims. I pray that they will someday realize similar as you when they get a chance to live life with the Muslims.

    I will share this blog because it is so wonderful and very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry because truly there are things we like to do because it make us happy and making a simple difference to even one single person matters a lot.

    I am glad that PeaceTech had that impact on you and may this impact be shared a million fold.

    Kuya Dave here, Communications Officer of PeaceTech. Do add me on FB www.facebook.com/shenncph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually i have english problem..but when read your blog slowly,i understand..i hope you have many muslim friend..for me,as a muslim,i being confused to get along with non-friend muslim. because they all mind that your first mind about muslim..hi friend from me,Fatinnadiah..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts